Welcome! We invite you to join us in finding creative and sustainable solutions that advance equity for women throughout the life span in the theatre arts.
Advance Gender Equity in the Arts (AGE) accepts applications for the AGE in the Arts Awards submitted according to guidelines found annually here on our website.
Click here to download the 2017 AGE in the Arts Awards Application Guidelines in PDF format.
The 2017 AGE in the Arts Awards application window is
The AGE in the Arts Awards
Women make up 52% of the population. Women comprise 68% of the audience for American theatre. Yet women are significantly underrepresented in the theatre. The AGE in the Arts Awards recognize theatre companies that are committed to gender equity for women of all ages in their programming, leadership and casting.
Advance Gender Equity in the Arts grants awards ranging from $5,000 to $20,000 (2017 Awards total $30,000) to selected organizations that meet the following eligibility requirements based on the current and upcoming seasons:
- Not-for-profit, professional theatre company
- Current 501(c)(3) tax exempt status in state of Oregon
- Located in Portland-metro area, Portland, Oregon
- Present no fewer than three fully staged shows per season
- Have presented at least three seasons of three or more fully staged shows prior to application deadline
AGE will only consider applications:
- received by 5:00pm on application closing date
- submitted as per instructions
- that are complete
Dates & Deadlines
The AGE in the Arts Awards application window opens in early Spring. Awards are announced in June.
Application Process & Instructions
Applications are reviewed and scored by a selection committee from Portland and cities across the US. Reviewers are invited by AGE to participate based on their affiliation with theatre arts and their interest in DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion).
The Award selection process involves a rigorous multi-phase review that includes independent scoring, in-person interviews, and a final collaborative analysis of the applications.
Each reviewer independently scores and rank orders applications based on their assessment of the applicant’s commitment to sustainable, structural, and systemic gender balance in their theatre company.
Applicants will be evaluated based on their organization’s efforts to:
- Advance equity for women across the lifespan in play selection, casting and directing
- Address age and gender equity as it relates to diversity and inclusion
- Raise awareness of the manifestation of microaggressions and gratuitous violence against women in the performing arts
- Implement policies that protect women from discrimination and unwanted sexual/physical encounters in the workplace
- Involve artistic leadership in collaborations and community engagement that promotes equity for women across the lifespan in the performing arts
Semi-finalists from among AGE in the Arts Awards applicants will be determined based upon the selection committee’s ratings. Additional supporting materials may be requested from semi-finalists.
Semi-finalist in-person interviews take place with representative members of the AGE in the Arts Awards Selection Committee. Following final recommendations from the selection committee, the AGE Board will have final approval of the AGE in the Arts Awards.
Award recipients are notified in June.
Reporting, Evaluation & Acknowledgement
One mid-award period report is required of 2017 recipients on January 15, 2018. A final report is due May 31, 2018.
AGE in the Arts Awards recipients are required to acknowledge Advance Gender Equity in the Arts support in printed and digital marketing materials for the upcoming season, using the AGE logo as space permits.
Awards recipients are also asked to provide Advance Gender Equity in the Arts two to four (2-4) complimentary season passes which will be used by AGE to observe the upcoming season and verify the information presented in the application.
The total amount of AGE in the Arts Awards granted each year is determined by available funds. AGE may, at its discretion, limit the amount and number of awards.
It is recommended that these Guidelines be printed and carefully read.
Download a printable version of the 2017 AGE in the Arts Awards Application Guidelines.
AGE in the Arts Awards application materials will be made available in alternate print formats upon request.
Please contact us directly with any questions.
Founder, Board President
Learn more about the History, Mission and Objectives of Advance Gender Equity in the Arts.